Re: 74 MGB GT

To: buchanan@preferred.com
Subject: Re: 74 MGB GT
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:44:16 EST
Hi Tom,
  I'm told by a number of owners of MGs and other cars that the low
initial oil pressure is because the oil is too thick to pump up into the
tube and the gauge.  One B owner here in southern Connecticut has been
using 20-50 and, as an experiment, changed to 5-30 last week.  He
reported instant, full, normal pressure immediately at startup.  Since 30
was one of the SAE numbers cited in the workshop manual, one supposes
that it's OK.
  Within the last week, one of the listers shared with us that the 5 of
5-30 refers to the cold pour measure, and that the 30 refers to operating
pressure loading.
Bob

.  Also I think I