Re: Paint

To: Rich Mason <rmason@ro.com>, Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject: Re: Paint
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:26:24 -0600
At 10:20 AM 11/24/97 -0500, Rich Mason wrote:
>At 08:30 AM 11/23/97 -0500, Art wrote:
>Thanks for the info...the body shop supply folks here are recommending an
>acrylic enamel with a hardener system (they don't even sell lacquer any
>more).  I guess that's part of the higher cost I'm seeing.  I'm not sure
>what I'm going to do now.  I hope you don't mind a few more questions... :)

What about urethane clearcoat?  My brother and I painted my recently rebuilt
engine with urethane clearcoat and got excellent results.

>2) I too, was thinking that lacquer was the way to go, but everyone is
>trying to talk me out of it.  The only negative that I hear is that you have
>a lot more labor to rub out the finish initially, and you have to
>periodically buff it out.  Is there a way to clear-coat the lacquer to keep
>it shiny and new-looking?

>4) How many coats of lacquer do you recomend?

One or two coats for urethane paint.  Not 5 or 6 like lacquer.

The secret like all others have said is preparation.

jay
i will be summarizing my results of the full rebuild of my '70 engine soon
and it will include a checklist