Why an MG?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Why an MG?
From: MGMagnette@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 11:02:50 -0500 (EST)
   It seems to be today that a decent MGB is gonna cost about $6000.  When I
bought my first convertible MGB, my MGB-GT, and then the MG Farina Magnette
(I needed four doors and four seats), they were considerably cheaper cars.
 The MGB, in perfect mint wonderful condition was $4000, the nice GT was
2250, and the great original Magnette was 1700.  But now, with the exception
of the Magnette, I don't think any one of them would be easy to find for less
than $6000.
   $6000 is another price bracket entirely.  Now that MGs are so damn
expensive, what else do they have going for them?  I bring this up because I
bought an 86 XJS, against all recommendations, for $5500.  It has 66,000
miles and looks brand new.  I put another 2,000 miles on it without incident,
except the alternator belt broke.  I've done a tune up and tracked down an
electrical fault and can safely say it is the easiest car to work on that
I've ever dealt with.  It's faster, more comfortable, etc,etc, than the MGB.
   Some people are paying as much as $10000 for MGBs!  Why an MGB when 10000
buys a Bentley T1?  Why $6000 for an MGB when a XJ-S is $6000?   I ask this
because if I don't watch out I'm gonna end up sell all the cars and getting
an Aston DBS.  Expensive cars are cheap and the cheap cars expensive... WHAT
GIVES?

    John