Re: driving questions / Idling, good or bad?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: driving questions / Idling, good or bad?
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 21:20:38 -0500 (EST)

> Trevor Boicey wrote:
>  >
>  >   I'd be willing to bet that the thousands of extra revs would
>  > do a lot more wear from all that needless idling.
>  >

>  Under given circumstances I am sure your bet would win.  I knew my point
>  of view, on this topic, would pave the path for further elaboration.  To
>  mention some of the other variables to consider is the quality of the
>  oil and frequency of change.  Also, my advice only applies to cars which
>  are "smogged" to prevent unecessary environmental damage.  It all comes
>  down to who you ask.  For example, most truckers leave their trucks
>  running all day, while docking and undocking, until it's time to lock
>  up.  Some truckers sleep in their trucks while the engine runs - in any
>  kind of weather, cold or hot. So their engines run on for days, weeks or
>  more without turning off.
>
>  Peter Landy
>  '74 Bgt

I imagine if you idled an LBC like the truckers do, it would carbon up so
badly
there would be charcoal briquettes coming out the exhaust pipe! I always
assumed that prolonged idling was bad for an engine (at least worse than
say, crusing down the highway). Am I wrong on this?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336