Dreaded DPO maneuvers

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Dreaded DPO maneuvers
From: Steve Bettencourt <steveb5815@edgenet.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 13:07:58 -0500
This weekend I finally got some time to work on the '76 B. It was purchased
to be a parts donor for the '79 but the body and underbody isn't all that
bad, it runs really good so it just might be worth saving.

Anyway, I wanted it running so I could easily move it around the yard but I
knew that the DPO had hacked the wiring because there was a push button on
the console to start the car, (the key switch didn't work, turned out to
only be dirty relay connections). Also, the headlight and heater switches
are long gone replaced by ill fitting toggle switches. They're loose in the
dash openings and  there were many bare wires that just happened to be hot
:-/.

But, like I said it was supposed to be a parts car so it really didn't
matter but I couldn't leave it alone so as I fixed each thing and got all
the electrical accessories working(lights, wipers flashers...) road use
seems more of an option.

With all the hacking that was done inside the car I shouldn't have been
surprised at what I found under the hood but this really took the cake.
When I removed the fuse block cover I found that each and every fuse was
neatly wrapped in tin foil!! They were also all blown!! The guy that used
to own this thing is lucky it didn't burst into flames :-O (There were some
melted wires).

Well, all that is repaired and it hasn't blown a fuse yet. There are a few
more bugs to work out, a few more wires to trace but it's getting closer.

Now the problem is I'll probably need to get another parts car to get stuff
for the '79.

Oh well.
Steve Bettencourt
'79 MGB