The new Mini

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: The new Mini
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 10:14:38 -0800
To kill time on the Thanksgiving flight to Phoenix, I bought the latest
copy of Road and Track.  Besides the usual Peter Egan column, the other
thing that caught my eye was a good picture of the new Rover Mini.

When I read that BMW was actually considering bringing it in to the US,
I had fleeting thoughts about what a great commute car it would
be...yes, I would consider buying one of those cheeky little buggers!

Then reality intruded...I realized that with Beemer behind the effort,
this car whose concept Issigonis originally considered an economy car
will probably be sold through BMW or Range Rover dealers in the US as a
"boutique vehicle", with a price probably around $30-35 grand.  More
profits for Beemer and a small group of overpaid Yuppies buying them for
their spouses.

Oh, well...it was a fun thought while it lasted!

Cheers, PK