Re: driving questions

To: "INTERNET:DANMAS@aol.com" <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: Re: driving questions
From: "Michael F. Adamson" <madamson@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 13:54:11 -0500
In a message dated 97-12-01 06:31:45 EST, madamson@compuserve.com writes:=

> When materials get cold, ice is an exception, they shrink.  The atoms
>  occupy less space due to their decreased activity.  Holes in material
>  become larger.  A piece of material, say a piston, becomes smaller
>  therefore increased clearances.

Dan Masters wrote:

<If material gets smaller when it gets cold - and it does - how can a hol=
get
larger? Since the interior of a hole is lined with material, and the
material
gets smaller, how can the hole the material is surrounding be bigger?>

<Ice also shrinks when it gets colder. It's just that in the transition
from
water to ice, ice occupies more space than the water. Same is true on the=

other end. Steam, at the same pressure, occupies much more space than the=

equivilent quanity of water. If you increase the temperature of steam,
again
maintaining the same pressure, it also expands. I don't know of any
material
that gets larger as the temperature decreases, but there may be something=

that does - pure unobtainium, perhaps?>

Dan,

My reply was late at night, I meant to say water instead of ice. =

Draw a plan view of your engine with the head off.  You'll have a rectang=
le
with 4 holes in it.  Draw arrows from all the lines denoting the perimete=
and the cylinder bores pointing inwards.  These indicate the contraction =
of
the molecules due to decreased atom activity.  The dimensions of the engi=
ne
become smaller and the bores become larger.

Another illustration of this is making molds for cast iron.  Molds are ma=
de
<<larger>> than the actual piece desired to accomodate the shrinkage that=

occurs when the part cools.  The exception is if you want a void in the
part.  The plug for the hole is made <<smaller>>  so that shrinkage resul=
ts
in a void of the proper size.

Regards,

Michael.