factory painting techniques

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: factory painting techniques
From: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 15:53:21 -0800
I recently looked at a '68 MGB that still had its factory paintjob=2E I was=
=20
suprised when I looked underneath the car at the floorboards and saw that=20
there was overspray on the undercoating=2E I know for sure that the paint=20
really is original, so that got me wondering if the factory painting=20
technique was a bit sloppy back then=2E I remember a picture of an MGA bein=
g=20
painted by just two guys with paint guns, which seems pretty crude by=20
today's standards=2E

Does anyone know the factory's painting techniques for MGAs and  MGBs? Was=20
lead used to fill uneven areas or on panel seems? Was only one primer used?=
=20
I've noticed on my car that the exterior body has a coat of red oxide=20
primer, but that some of the interior metal is sprayed with a primer that i=
s=20
white in color or with both it and the red oxide=2E I posed a similar quest=
ion=20
on the Triumph list (about my GT6), and I was suprised to hear that on=20
Triumphs they often used several different primers on the same car, and=20
apparently even used a filler primer to cover minor body imperfections=2E

Karim
'67 B-GT
'67 GT6
Karim Marouf