Expansion & Contraction

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Expansion & Contraction
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 20:46:49 EST
All this talk of contraction and expansion has reminded me of my father's
"grapes of wrath" technique for pressing the clutch throwout bearing onto
the sleeve in my '79 Midget.

We removed what was left of the old bearing, cleaned the sleeve, and
stuck it in the freezer.  The next day, we set the bearing on the hood of
the dark colored truck in direct sunlight to soak up some heat (this was
mid-June) for about an hour.  Then we quickly retrieved the sleeve,
lightly lubed the outside surface, place it on the bench, aligned the
bearing, set a piece of scrap wood on top, and two very light taps later,
it was in place.

Rich
'79 Midget  "Molly Maguire"