RE: fumes

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: fumes
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 12:38:00 -0800 (PST)
The hoses crack and leak fumes. change them for a few dollars and your fumes
will probably go away

Chris Reichle
creichle@nsc.msmail.miami.edu
 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: mgs
Subject: fumes
Date: Tuesday, November 25, 1997 7:38PM

the gas fumes from my 73 'b seem to be getting progressively worse.
i beleive that i need to replace the gas tank (i suspect pinholes
due to rust...).  my question involves the vent from the gas tank that
is in the trunk.  i'm not sure of the technical name, but its the
doo-hickey on the passenger side with a couple of hoses leading to it.
is it possible that some of the fumes are coming from there?  the po
cut a couple of holes in the rear bulkhead for speakers that are no
longer there, and i beleive that the fumes may be coming through from
there.
also, i know that i have the carbs set a bit rich, but the exhaust
smells _very_gasoline rich.  no black smoke or sputtering--in fact,
the car runs quite well--so i don't think its due to the mixture being
overly rich, but i'm not sure.  any suggestions?  the smell in the
car is threatening to cause brain damage...

thanks,
 -robert
 73 mgb