Re: Import vs. American

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: Import vs. American
From: Peter Landy <plandy@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 20:17:25 -0800
Keith Wheeler wrote:

>........snip.........
> For anyone who thinks Jap = wonderful, check out:
>
> http://www.bhs.com/fca/mazda/saga.htm
>
> Something like a class action lawsuit or some such
> regarding the TT RX-7s.
>
> Again, I've just not been impressed with anything Japanese,
> in the order of dealing with 'em:  280ZX, '86 Honda Prelude,
> '82 RX-7, '97 Honda Prelude.  The '97 Prelude (a college buddy's
> car) is ok, but the trim isn't so great (come on, what outside
> of a custom interior with wilton wool and leather is gonna
> be?), and I'll bet with a few more miles it'll have
> all the same old problems.  Paint fades.  Dashes crack.
> Seats tear.  Suspensions sag.
>
> These days cars are not long term investments.  No matter where
> in the world they are made, they are (for that fat part of the
> bell curve) nothing more than appliances.

Keith, over the years I've owned both Japanese and American made cars.
Currently my main transportation vehicle is Japanese made.  I would have
GLADLY given my money to any American car manufacturer if there was
something worth spending on.  No matter how hard I looked all signs
pointed to "made in Japan".  Although, Japanese, are starting to build
them from American factories.  Japanese quality used to be explained as
something having to do with the way they run things on the island.  But
now they are "here" building with similar quality on American soil which
makes me wonder.  Why is it that Japenese can beat us to the game on
their soil or ours?

The other thing, it all depends on the driver.  Take my brother-in-law,
PLEASE :-), for example.  There isn't a car in the world however new or
thick skinned which can survive under his loving claws.  This man can
turn a sherman tank into jelly in no time flat!  IMHO: Assuming we are
comparing two vehicles, Jap and US, with similar equipment managed by
two careful owners I'll bet that the Jap car will cost less and out last
the other one.  Yes, American cars are "starting" to catch up.  But it
is far from enough.  About the only manufacturer who has made signifcant
strides forward is Ford. But Ford could use a class 101 in automotive
designs. Ford needs to import a few British designers from the Jaguar
plant to turn things around big times.  With the combined talent of
British design team and Ford's mechanical reliability we could witness
the next stage in the automotive evolution.

Peter Landy
'74 Bgt
'96 Toy 4R/SR5