Re: More on Why an MG.

To: MGMagnette@aol.com
Subject: Re: More on Why an MG.
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 18:43:31 EST
On Tue, 2 Dec 1997 22:02:00 -0500 (EST) MGMagnette@aol.com writes:

>Has been said...
>  I haven't had a breakdown in the BGT since I bought it in 1991, and
>I've only put 94,500 miles on the thing since then.
>
> Maybe I'm  not driving it enough?  I only drive it 7 days a week.
>

>WOW!  I have to say, 94,800 miles on an MGB without a break down is
>not only
>an incredible exception, I'd say a new world record too.  Serious, can
>anyone
>top that?
>For the most part though, time has had it's toll on most of our cars.
>Most
>are to the point where mileage is nearly irrelevant and parts are
>beginning
>to break because of old age.  Was this BGT fully restored, and at what
>price?
>

>    John

John,
  No, the bloody thing is STILL a rolling resoration.
  I managed to buy it from a guy who, in the five years prior, had
managed to put about 500 miles on a rebuilt engine. It had been cranked
and run regularly, but not driven much.  In fact, he had not even
registered it since he moved from GA to NC.
  I bought it sight unseen through a buddy who I trusted, for the
princely sum of $1700.
 Since then I've converted to OD, rebuilt the carbs (right after I got
it) and of course, the ususual maintenance items get taken care of as
soon as required.
  A record?  I doubt it.  One of my friends in my local club has a 1977 B
which he bought new. It is his ONLY means of transport. In the slightly
more than 225,000 miles he has put on it the closest he has come to a
break down was forgeting to tighten a plug back when changeing it. He
called me to help him figure out the skip he had.  After retightening the
plug, he was embarrassed to the tune of a full 6 pack.
  I think the key in both cases is the fact that he and I both drive our
cars every day and when something seems amiss, we investigate and fix it.
Right then.
  With out taking a survey or any such scientific blather, It seems, at
least in my club, that the more often an owner drives the car, the less
likely major problems crop up. I know one member who puts his TR in the
shed the first time a leaf falls, and doesn't pull it out again til the
dafodils rear their head.  Then spends the next 3 months sorting out all
kinds of little bugs.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget