RE: Yankee Go Home/Now Setting the record straight: GSM

To: Nory@webtv.net (Nory), spook01@mindspring.com (Ray McCrary),
Subject: RE: Yankee Go Home/Now Setting the record straight: GSM
From: hert@worldaccess.nl
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 97 09:45:03 GMT
Ray McCrary <spook01@mindspring.com> schreef:

> Of course some of the 50+ COUNTRIES are the size of a K Mart parking lot.
> I'm sure that politics are at work here in the States.
>
> Ray

The international agreement on the GSM standard is the most amazing fact I've
ever witnessed
in this area. The standard was set quickly and without major fights. I have
been involved in
some international standardization conferences (IATA) and even parking lot
sized tribal
countries can block things there, and it's no different in most other fields.
Compare f.i. the ISDN
and modem battles. Each minor update requires years.
The GSM standard allows me to call and be called when I get off a plane in Hong
Kong,
automatic and transparant. Incredible! A for GSM nets: they cheap to set up, a
lot cheaper than
a fixed net. That's why there are so many GSM phones in Finland and Sweden,
where
population density is very low.

Peter and phone: both off for the weekend