Re: Heads Off, Now what?

To: Chris Chandler <spawn@net-link.net>
Subject: Re: Heads Off, Now what?
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 19:56:07 -0800
Chris Chandler wrote:

> Chris Delling wrote:
> > and in a unheated garage in
> > Michigan in December, corrosion is a concern.  Anyone have any ideas about
> > somthing that can be sprayed or painted onto the bare metal to prevent this?
>
>         Whereabout in MI?  I'm in Gobles (about 25 miles west of Kalamazoo).
> My MG is also sitting in my unheated garage.  Head isn't off yet, but
> I'm through the rockers...
>
> Chris
> 72 B

I've had an MGB engine with the head off since last winter, and there was no
appreciable rust that was obvious to me the last time I checked in October.  I
think
as long as there was engine oil in the engine, you'll be OK.  Just to be sure,
you
might want to cover everything in a thin coat of 20w-50.  When you get your
head
back, however, DO NOT leave it sitting around unless the machine shop put it in
sealed bag.  They spray some kind of rust inhibitor stuff in there to keep rust
from
forming.  If you get it back as plain, clean metal, buy a box of oven roaster
bags,
put the head in there and spray some WD-40 in there to keep it rust-free.
Good luck!
--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College