Nosey Furiners

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Nosey Furiners
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 21:37:50 -0600
Paul Hunt wrote:

> And what's this we UK-ers hear about Minivans and Cherokee-type vehicles being
> classed in the USA as small trucks and allowed to pump out 50% more emissions
>than
> cars?

Watch it Paul, this is the land of the almighty V8 and we don't need
your kind judging our transportation. Here in the great U.S.A. we got a
democracy, the big 3 auto makers, and lobbyists. That's what made our
country great.

The _cars_ produced must meet a corporate fuel economy standard. Also we
must make sure that, by volume, all of our vehicles do not pollute the
air too much. We've pretty much got the tree-huggers, liberal college
students, sierra weenies, librarians, and school teachers to buy into
this. For them we have these disgusting, asthmatic, 1.5 liter econo
boxes.

That's what makes it legal for the old lady to take me for a ride in her
275 (SAE NET) horsepower Z28. We have every right to blow 5.7 liters of
sorta dirty air out for every revolution just the same as pedestrian
cars blowing 1.5 liters of the same type of air.

Also, the corporate fuel economy standards don't apply to over half of
all vehicles sold -- trucks. So the Big Sport Utes can huff around at 14
MPG while the civilized drivers steer the tiller, make phone calls, etc.
And also my little, light weight Dodge Dakota can scoot around town with
its 3.2 liter, 225 horse V8.

It's a great system.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, 69CGT, 75TR6, 95Z28, 96V8Dakota, and this dead
Elva
"I like my cars like I like my sex. Fast and stinky."