Re: Manifold to Cat Converter gasket/joint

To: "Michael F. Adamson" <madamson@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Manifold to Cat Converter gasket/joint
From: "John D. Perkins" <wrench@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 23:06:40 -0500
Michael F. Adamson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anybody else out there have a problem with joint between the manifold
> and the catalytic converter on a B?  Mine is a '77 and I've replaced the
> gasket 3 times in the last 12 months.  And is this one mother of a job!
> The work clearance is minimal and cutting down a 1/2" open/box end tool was
> my only solution.
>
> The gaskets from a local supplier were not very substantial looking and
> sure enough didn't last more than a couple of months.  My next fix was to
> cover the same style of gasket with copper foil, both sides, with the side
> toward the manifold overlapping the gasket hole.  It lasted 6 to 7 months.
>
> Advance Auto Parts had a Triumph exhaust gasket that was close and it had a
> central metal ring.  Modified the stud holes and fitted it.  Didn't the
> stud closest to the block back out!
>
> Two studs are now holding it together and in anticipation of this gasket
> blowing I ordered two from Moss Motors.  These at least are dark grey and a
> little more robust looking.
>
> Help!
>
> Michael.
>
> PS.  There is nothing like an exhaust leak near the air cleaner to clog it
> up completely!
Micheal:
    You probably got a rubber-bumpered MGB that has been serviced by
someone who doesn't know what they are doing.  If you don't have the
bracket that connects the exhaust pipe to the base of the block about 4
inches below the Catalytic converter, there is too much strain at the
catalytic converter to manifold joint.  I have serviced many cars where
that bracket was left off during a clutch or exhaust job because it's a
hassle.  It's a requirement!