RE: Why U.S. Beer is (IMHO) Inferior

To: vansyck@hq.1perscom.heidelberg.army.mil ("EPMD- Van syckel, John"),
Subject: RE: Why U.S. Beer is (IMHO) Inferior
From: hert@worldaccess.nl
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 97 16:05:19 GMT
Aan 11-12-97 15:42, in bericht
<31B4FEE0331DD111B6D10000C05F7EC431ABFD@1perscmdexch2.heidelber, "EPMD- Van
syckel, John" <vansyck@hq.1perscom.heidelberg.army.mil> schreef:

> > I can't speak to the ingredients/adjuncts in U.K. brews.  In Germany
> > there is the "Reinheitsgebot" which is the Beer Purity Law.  It became
> > law in 1516 and states that the only ingredients that may be used to
> > produce beer in Germany (to be sold in Germany) is malt, hops, yeast,
> > and water.  All the different types of German beers (Helles, Dunkle,
> > Weizen, Bock, Dopple Bock, etc,etc.) are just different recipes of the
> > four allowed ingredients.

To add to your observations:
The Reinheitsgebot was useful from the middle ages until now to minimize the
risk of impure
ingredients resulting in sick Germans. In the past few decades is was used
however as a
protectionist measure: to keep the foreign beers away, even though these are as
pure as the
German ones. Fortunately the European Commission, useful for once, told Germany
to kill the
Reinheitsgebot. The mostly regional breweries have such a loyal following that
it will take the
foreign breweries a long time to come into the market.

Thanks for your post, it was very informative. I can't imagine why anyone would
disagree with
your statements ....

Peter