Datsun vs. MGB

To: MG Enthusiasts <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Datsun vs. MGB
From: "Michael F. Adamson" <madamson@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 22:51:30 -0500
Rick Feibusch wrote:

>>I only calls em as I sees em. I never lost a race to an MGB in either o=
my
Datsuns (I lost plenty to 4-holer Porsches and an Alfa or two). The best
race I lost was to a guy in a Honda 800S roadster. I'd never even seen on=
at the time, but really, how fast could an 800cc car that was smaller tha=
a bugeye be?  We peeled off the line and as I dutifully shifted into seco=
nd
at 6200rpm, the Honda screamed off, still in first, and just left me
sitting there lugging along in second! Later I learned that these cars
weighed in at about the same as a go kart and the damn things would wind =
up
to 10,000rpm! And yes the Honda would make mincemeat out of a B.>>

>>I'm not interested in bench (or keyboard) racing the cars I used to own=
=2E
All I can say is don't underestimate the Datsun 1600 - they won way too
many pro races in their day. They also had alot of factory support in the=

US that BMC didn't do.>>

I had the opportunity to drive one of those Hondas.  As I recall it
redlined at 14,500!  Chain drive to the rear wheels.   The engine looked
like 4 single cylinder motor cycle engines glued together and and at full=

chat sounded like a beserk sewing machine.  In Montreal I saw one of thes=
engines torn down and the crankshaft was a thing of beauty:  completely
machined out of a billet of steel and you could see your face in the
counterwieghts.

Regards,

Michael.