Re: MG drinking guide to England - way off topic

To: Chris Nevard <spridgeteer@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: MG drinking guide to England - way off topic
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 19:47:22 +0000
Chris Nevard wrote:

> We haven't had Watneys Red Barrel over here in the UK for many years.
> I believe there is an export version still made for you guys - I think
> it is a better beer than the one we had over here. Another ersatz ale
> we had was 'Double Diamond'. The commercials used to go: "Double
> Diamond, Double Diamond - works wonders for you" - think they were
> talking about the accountants pockets  - another one of those beers
> (?) containing very little in the way of proper beer ingriedients.

A commercial that died the death although the product is still very much
available was "Guinness is good for you" complete with pictures of workmen
wandering round with a pint of Guinness in one hand and a steel girder on
their other shoulder.

While my wife was breast-feeding our two kids and on hospital advice she always
drank a glass of Mackesons Stout before the last feed of the day.  We never had
a sleepless night.

PaulH.