Emmisions container failure?

To: List MGB <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Emmisions container failure?
From: Der schwarze Buccaneer <js-allen@students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 20:21:10 -0600 (CST)
        Here's a shorter little ditty than my previous post.  You know
that little evaporative loss container sitting on the passenger side
platform in the engine compartment, opposite the one where the brake
cylinder is on the driver side?  Well, today as I attempted to tune my
MGB, I noticed it was leaking gas when I shut the engine off.  It seems to
be draining about a cup of gasoline out the overflow and onto the ground.
(It's a '72 and has only one of these cannisters).  I'm sure this isn't
what's supposed to happen, and it obviously isn't safe, but why is it
happening?  My carbs are HIF SU's, with the float chamber incorporated
into the carb's body and there's a hose coming off each carb just above
the float area that then runs over to the sinister cannister in question.
I'm thinking about blocking these lines off and seeing what happens,
failing more knowledgable advice.  I know it's not coming off the vapor
trap in the trunk...I took the hose off to look for gas in the line and
there's none, but there is some in the carbs' line to the cannister.
What's going on with this thing!?!

                                                -Scott Allen
                                                js-allen@students.uiuc.edu

        "At dawn we will face the greatest test of our resolve.  But I
say this: though starving, hunger will not weaken us; though diseased,
illness will not cripple us, and though weary, exhaustion will not claim
us.  We can fight knowing that all true Reiklanders will forevermore
honour our valiant gesture of defiance, even though our bodies be left to
feed the beasts of carrion.

        Mind you...we could always surrender."  -Rick Priestly's Siege