Re: Safer jack stands-an idea.

To: js-allen@students.uiuc.edu, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Safer jack stands-an idea.
From: JustBrits <JustBrits@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 23:16:52 EST
In a message dated 97-12-15 16:50:17 EST, js-allen@students.uiuc.edu writes:

<< Subj:         Safer jack stands-an idea.
 Date:  97-12-15 16:50:17 EST
 From:  js-allen@students.uiuc.edu (Der schwarze Buccaneer)
 Sender:        owner-mgs@autox.team.net
 To:    mgs@autox.team.net (List MGB)

        Seems I've been doing alot of asking and no contributing.  Well,
 I'm sitting here procrastinating about review for my final exams and
 thought about something as I was deciding what to pack for X-mas
 vacation, seeing my jack stands. Someone earlier this year posted
 something about his MG falling on 'im after a jack stand tipped.  Here's
 my idea:
        Take your jack stands, get two fair sized pieces of sheet metal,
 and weld a piece of sheet metal to the bottom of each stand.  Do it so
 that it protects three sides from tipping, leaving one side free of
 overhang so that it will still fit under an axle without a tire
 interfering with placement.  On concrete, this ought to improve safety
 appreciably I should think.  One could even get fancy and weld studs onto
 the sheet then bushings on the jack to fit the studs, making it removable
 if you like to stash 'em in your trunk.  HTH!

 SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
 S                 S            S= sheet metal
 S                 S            L= leg of jack stand
 S      L         LS
 S                 S
 S                 S
 S                 S
 S                 S
 S      L         LS
 S                 S
 S                 S
 SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

                                                -Scott Allen
                                                js-allen@students.uiuc.edu

        "At dawn we will face the greatest test of our resolve.  But I
 say this: though starving, hunger will not weaken us; though diseased,
 illness will not cripple us, and though weary, exhaustion will not claim
 us.  We can fight knowing that all true Reiklanders will forevermore
 honour our valiant gesture of defiance, even though our bodies be left to
 feed the beasts of carrion.

        Mind you...we could always surrender."  -Rick Priestly's Siege

Scott:

    If you just take a 12" X 12 " X 3/4" of pine and put stands on the wood
the result is that the legs gouge the wood to the point of not leaning.  Also,
if you put them where they belong you should not have a problem.   Also, 9 out
of ten time if you support car with 4" X 4" beam between stands it cannot tip.

Regards,

          Ed
          "Do it every day and it become "Safety Fast"   !!