Re: Separated by Shooting Brake

To: mgworld@chp.ltd.uk, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Separated by Shooting Brake
From: Littlesuzn <Littlesuzn@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 23:57:57 EST
In a message dated 97-12-16 12:59:38 EST, mgworld@chp.ltd.uk writes:

<< >One thing that I still wonder about is the origin of the term "shooting
 >brake". I know that both it and estate wagon refer to what the Americans
 >call a station wagon, but there must have been more of a difference in
 >the past. I did ask an ex bobby at the last British Car Festival, but all
 >he could tell me was that shooting brake was an old term for a carriage
 >that was used in hunting. Any help form the other side of the pond would
 >be welcome.  >>

I believe it means...... a vehicle used for transporting a hunting party.
Shooting......... that's obvious
Brake......... an old term used to refer to a conductor or driver.
Hence...... a conductor (car) used to transport a shooting party (usually in
the "maws" of Scotland) by the distillery..... near Gallipoli....... with
Princess.........
Oh never mind.
But I will check my multi multi volume Oxford dictionary (1938 edition) later
this week.

"Midget" Susan