Re: Distributor

To: JedPiper@earthlink.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Distributor
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:31:46 EST
In a message dated 97-12-17 11:30:49 EST, JedPiper@earthlink.net writes:

> On the Mallory,
>  there are two sets of points which will produce a hotter spark than a
>  single set.

> snip>

>  In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, not substantiated by anything
>  other than my personal experience; I would opt for a new, standard Lucas
>  45D distributor to replace your ailing unit.  It's  unlikely that your '71
>  would benefit a great deal from the Mallory dual point unless you are also
>  running a race cam or regularly drive at very high rpm's.

Jed:

I would agree with you wholeheartedly - in order to benefit from the dual
points in a Mallory, you would have to have two coils, which would be overkill
for a street driven MG. A stock ignition system, in good condition, is more
than adequate for street use. Stepping up to a sport coil might be of benefit
is you regularly drive your car at high rpm.

The real advantage of an electronic ignition system and the sport coil for
normal street use is in the reduction of required maintainence and tune ups.
The higher output of the sport coil will let you go longer between replacing
plugs, and the electronic system might not require adjustment again as long as
you own the car. The electronic system is also much more tolerant of wear and
slop in the distributor than conventional points.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74