wipers

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: wipers
From: Tom Buchanan <buchanan@preferred.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 12:28:53 -0500
 A month or so ago I asked the list about the problems with the windshield
wipers on my 74 MGB-GT. Well, I finally got around to taking on the repair.
The problem was that the wipers were VERY slow and if allowed to continue
running would eventually stop and wouldn't work again until the next day.
 Well, last night I removed the entire wiper system, motor, gearbox and
linkage. I recall that some listers couldn't figure out how this is done.
Some even thought that the dash would have to come out. It doesn't. To take
everything out do the following. Remove the glove box (so you can see what
you are doing) then remove the wiper blades and arms. Then remove the nuts
right under the wiper arms. Then go back in side behind the removed glove
box and remove the two bolts that secure the wiper motor to the firewall.
The entire assembly (including linkage) will come right out the passenger
door.
 Before hand, on the advice of a Triumph fanatic, I purchased a set of
brushes for the motor from Vicky B's. I took the gear box apart and
everything looked fine. I took the motor apart and the brushes looked fine
also. (I'll replace them anyway) The only thing that was suspicious was
that the motor smelled as if it had been hot. (the motor does work though).
The only other thing I noticed was that everything was greased well but it
seemed that the grease was stiff. I don't know how thick the grease is
supposed to be though.
 Anyway, can anyone figure out what the problem might be?

Tom Buchanan
buchanan@preferred.com
http://pages.preferred.com/~buchanan/mg.html
1974 MGB-GT