Re: TD cracked crank

To: "Greg Jones" <gjones@mvp.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TD cracked crank
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 07:24:01 -0800
Sad to say, T-series cranks have been cracking for many years now. There
used to be companies that would do "submersion-arc" welding or other types
of welding that involved getting the entire crank really, really hot before
attempting to do a localized repair. However, we have been unable to find
any for the last dozen years or so. Another used crank would be OK but be
sure to have it magnafluxed first to make sure it, too, isn't cracked.
(However, the chances of finding a used crank after all these years of
their being so sought-after are fairly remote.)

Sad to say, all MGA and early B cranks are now starting to show a high
percentage have cracks when they are tested. I guess the steel just wasn't
made with more than 30 years' life expectancy

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center