New guy on the block...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: New guy on the block...
From: Ron Madurski <rmadursk@galaxy.galstar.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 13:08:13 -0600 (CST)
Hey, what's up?

I just joined the list and thought I'd let people know who I am...

First the important stuff:

79 MG Midget
Lots of good stuff on it when I bought it.
It is green (crappy paint job) with tan interior.  The top is a bit
rough, the hydrauics were bad but I am taking car of that now.  The carb
was really gummed up but after rebuilding it really purrs nicely.  I am
the second owner.  The first owner bought it new in 80 and drive it for
3 years when it got hit from behind.  It went into storage (the accident
scared him a bit) and stayed there until 2 years ago when his son
started to "restore" it.  He had the wheels dipped/blasted/painted, had
the rear-end fixed (poor job, I'll probably redo it some day), and got
it running.  This required a new alternator, points/plugs/wires, carb
rebuild (He didn't do a very good job).  I think the final blow for him
was when all of the hydrulics died on him (wrong fluids would be my
guess).  It sat for about a year while he tried to sell it and I got to
talking to him on another list about welders and bodywork.  He mentioned
that he hada car he was going to restore but got tired of it (and the
money he was spending on it).  I told him I had always wanted a Midget
since high school.  My parents wouldn't let me get one since all of the
ones I could afford were basket cases and they didn't feel like I could
get them going :-(.  Anyway I offered him $1000, he said $1500 and I
agreed (after looking at some pictures he sent to me).  About 3 months
later I drove down to get it (New Orleans) with a buddy of mine.  It's
sat in my garage since August until about 2 weeks ago (My wife felt like
there were other more important projects to take care of, go figure).
It has just under 20K miles on it.  Oh yeah, brand new tires too.

Anyway, I've rebuilt the carb (properly) so it runs much better, I've
replaced the brake master, and clutch master and slave.  I did a really
stupid thing and threw away the old master cylinder before I finished
the job.  I neglected to remove the adapter on the end and it took me
awhile to find another one.  I guess it's a banjo bolt or something like
that.  Once I get that piece I'll bleed everything and take it for a
spin.  (New pads/shoes all around, yippee).  The brake lines themselves
look a little rough so I'll probably be replacing them soon also.

There is one rust spot on the rear of the front right quarter panel.  A
hole about the size of a dime and some bubling around it.  that is the
only spot of rust on the car (Except for the exhaust).  No bondo
anywhere that I could find.  All rustproofing still intact but starting
to crack in a few spots.

I am a 38 yr old male.  Computer nerd/fix-it guy at a small engineeringOnce
I get that piece I'll bleed everything and take it for a spin.  (New
pads/shoes all around, yippee).  The brake lines themselves look a
little rough so I'll probably be replacing them soon also.

I am a 38 yr old male.  Computer nerd/fix-it guy at a small engineering
firm (www.drd.com) specializing in FEA (Finite Element Analysis), kinematics,
and 3-D modeling.  I also have my own consulting business on the side doing
admin and repair work for several area non-profits and friends.  I live
in Jenks, OK.  I have 1 wife, 2 kids (8 Matthew and 5 Amanda).  I have a
'79 X1/9 that I use for Autocross, an 85 F250 Diesel 4x4 extended cab
(to pull the Fiat and other idiots from ditches), a 75 Yamaha 650 twin,
and the wifes 88 Volvo 745T.  I also have a 50's Fiat 500 that I picked
up to part out if anyones interested.

Anyway, right now I'll probably just lurk for a bit.  I do have one item
for sale if anyone is interested.  The passenger compartment cover that
he gave me with the car is for a right hand drive.  It is immaculate,
never installed, still supple.  If anyone is interested in buying (or
trading for a left hand drive cover) please contact me.

Looking forward to listening in...

--
Ron Madurski
rmadursk@galaxy.galstar.com