Re: Re: <MGB> Fuel Pump Woes

To: ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU, owner-mgs@Autox.Team.Net, cantwell@cei.net
Subject: Re: Re: <MGB> Fuel Pump Woes
From: MGSMGBGT <MGSMGBGT@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 17:11:51 EST
In a message dated 12/26/97 2:13:44 PM, ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU wrote:

<<Just a guess I'm not even sure if it's possible. Moss sells pumps that are
designed for either positive or negative ground. Normal SU pumps will work
off either. Possibly she is getting the wrong pump? She may want to try an
after market US brand.
....Art

On Thu, 25 Dec 1997, Jeff N. Cantwell wrote:

> My son's school teacher is burning out about 4-5 pumps a year in her
> MGB, >>
Depends on the year of the car.  If the car is an early B that is positive
ground, and a late model negative ground pump is being installed the diode
which lives in the head and keeps the points from self-distructing in a year
would rebel.  The distruction of the diode would be total and rapid, and the
pump would not run without the diode.  Lacking that, look for 1. a plugged
screen in the tank, 2. a plugged screen in the bottom of the pump (There is a
plug in the bottom of the pump on cars so equiped) or a leak in the fuel lines
between the tank and pump.  Check careflly for air leaks on the line and at
the connections.

Good luck.

Bob Shaw