Re: Compressors

To: "Phil Vanner" <pvanner@pclink.com>
Subject: Re: Compressors
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 23:59:53 -0500
Hi Phil:

Yes, you need a compressor.  It doesn't have to be fancy and - except for
painting large things or running a sand/bead blaster - it doesn't need to
be too large.  I have a 2 HP Sears unit with a 20 gallon tank.  I have used
it for about 20 years and have always found it satisfactory.  It delivers 9
cfm at 150 psi and will do pretty well anything.  If you use air hog tools
like sanders and grinders it will need to keep running quite steadily and
you should keep a duty cycle in mind, but it will do the job.  Be sure you
use an oil/water trap filter and don't forget to drain the tank and change
the oil once in a while.  They can take lots of abuse.

Mine is a 220 volt unit for which I ran special wiring in my garage.  This
is a good idea as you can run a more powerful unit for less money, but it
isn't a necessity.  110 volt units are readily available.  Watch out for
cheapies from China.  Buy quality and it'll last you indefinitely.

John