Re: MGB vs. TR7 as son's first car( Now in defense of RBBMGs

To: dmeadow@juno.com, mcarter@score.com
Subject: Re: MGB vs. TR7 as son's first car( Now in defense of RBBMGs
From: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 09:06:19 -0500
David-

The shortcomings of the RBB are relatively easily corrected, assuming that
you are not subject to a lot of smog test related problems (as I know Pat
is).  Step one is a desmog of the car.  Next is a carb swap, to either dual
S.U.'s or a Weber.  If your more ambitious, a re-curved distributor, and
mild camshaft would come next.  At this point you have recovered 90% of the
lost H.P. as compared to CBB's, and costs have been moderate.  If you want
to spend a little more time and money, go for the earlier 8.7 to 1 CR
pistons, and you are in business.

Handling comes next.  It is relatively simple, and inexpensive to lower the
RBB cars, if desired.  Post 76 cars were fitted with anit-sway bars front
and rear, which went a long way to correct for the sins of the increased
body height.

Clearly, RBB vs. CBB comes down to cash, and taste.  RBB's don't command
the same amount of the cash, but if you're buying for yourself, and you
like the RBB styling then it's a benefit.  If you're buying for investment
purposes, good luck anyway.

Regards,

Chris Delling