Re: Ron Hopkinson Sway Bars was:MGB vs. TR7 as son's first car( Now in

To: Patrick Bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Ron Hopkinson Sway Bars was:MGB vs. TR7 as son's first car( Now in defense of RBBMGs
From: ken.roach@sk.sympatico.ca (Ken Roach)
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 07:09:16 GMT
On Wed, 31 Dec 1997 08:26:52 -0800, Pat wrote:

>Ken,
>I haven't heard of these swaybars where can I find out about them?Also I
>heard if you over do it in the sway bar dept it will get dangerous and
>not be safety fast.

        These sway bars were a popular upgrade in the early nineties.
They are sold as a kit of front and rear and are designed to only be
used together.  I believe the front is just a slightly thicker than
stock bar.  The rear is quite a different design with much shorter
arms than the factory bar.  It mounts to the underside of the trunk
floor and attaches with a drop-link to the lower spring mount. =20
        Practical Classics "MGB Uprating & Bodyshell Rebuild"
(available from British Car's bookshop) has a feature on them.  Many
mags gave them great reviews because they really do transform the feel
of B's.  A test in the June '91 issue of Classic and Sportscar was not
so flattering, however.  The reason for this is said that the bars
mask the transition from understeer to oversteer resulting in less
control when pushed to the limit.  If you drive at 9/10ths then these
are not the way to go.  If you drive enthusiastically but not right on
the edge they will provide considerably flatter cornering and improved
steering response.
        Ron Hopkinson Parts Centre
        850 London Rd.
        Derby, U.K., DE24 8WA
        phone:01332 756056
See their add on page 65 of the current MG World.

Ken Roach
'74B
=09