Re: Brake fluid mess

To: RJohn50603 <RJohn50603@aol.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake fluid mess
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 18:20:17 -0600
At 10:48 AM 1/4/98 EST, RJohn50603 wrote:
>I recently had a brake master cylinder go bad. It would leak all of the fluid
>out in 24 hours. This started during a very busy time at work and since the
>car (a '73 MGB) is my everyday driver, I had to nurse it along for about a
>week and a half until I had time to tear into it.

<snip>

>Besides the high cost, I'd like to hear some comments from those of you
>who use this stuff.

I've been using silicone fluid for quite a few years now, and the ability to
fill the reservoirs without worrying about stripping paint off my newly
painted
engine bay makes it worth the extra money.

I can't say if it affects my driving from day to day to any degree.
No deterioration of rubber parts can be attributed to this fluid, fortunately,
under my experience.

I think there are vendors in Hemmings Motor News that sell this
magnificient fluid
for around $35/gallon, I think.  Not expensive, considering that this gallon
lasts around 4-5 complete flushings of the brake system.

Remember, though, first and foremost, don't mix silicone and DOT 3-4 together.
Something about bad juju, or I don't know.

Jay