Head Games or what head to use (MG)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Head Games or what head to use (MG)
From: SHedman123 <SHedman123@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 19:53:13 EST
HELP !!!  Which head should I use ?

Many options have presented themselves to me regarding the never
ending/starting rebuild of the Deluxe. The constraints are as follows:
The 1622 engine will have been bored .030 with 1.625 roller rockers, hardened
valve seats (no lead), bronze-maganeese guides (exhaust), "Rimflow" valves,
with a Kent 717 Cam (37/65 73/27 with 280 degrees of duration and a TOTAL
valve lift, measured at the seats, of .450), Crane pushrods and a Kent
adjustable pulley.
If I do not use a crossflow head I will retain the use my 1622 head (cause it
was cast on Mr. Midgets 7th birthday).
The choices are as follows:
1) a Peter Burgess modified head using 1.56 inlet valves  (approx $700)
2) a APT modified head using 1.625 inlet valves  (approx $1000)
or
3) a "Steve Darby" crossflow  (approx $1500 with carbs and manifolds)
4) a HRG-Derrington reproduction from B+G (approx $!500 with carbs and
manifolds)

I will use the stock or Twin Cam rods (prepared) with a 9.5:1 CR. The 1.5" SUs
will be made to flow approx. 165 cfm at 25" Hg each. The proper dashpot oil
has already been covered elsewhere. Most likely I would not use Webers because
the mid range torque is not all that good. The stock MGA exhaust manifold will
be retained with a Peco HDR system. MGB flywheel and clutch.
The car will be street driven only, so hp at the 7500 rpm level is useless to
me. I'm estimating approx. 110 ft lbs of torque at 2500 and about 125 ft lbs
at 4500. (can you tell that I got a dyno computer program for Christmas).
The advantage of using the stock head and carbs is that the damn car will look
completely unmodified, a little noisier perhaps (valves needing adjustment I
suppose)
hehehe ....and with a 4.55 or 4.875 rear end..... well you get the idea. "I
say Allistair, was that one of those funny little Portias' we left at the last
light?"
Ron thinks I've got too much time on my hands and WAY too much money in this,
but what the hell right? Right.

Thanking everyone in advance
"Midget" Susan

A saying from the 80s that I think is somewhat funny..... I don't believe
it..... but there does seem to be some truth from what I've heard.

Coke is Gods way of saying "You have too much money"
A Sports Car is Gods way of saying "You don't do enough Coke"

PLEASE do not be offended by the above....I never have and never will do any
illegal substance. Nor will I condone or accept it by any of my friends or
family. Period.