Re: (Now has LBC Content) One last American car question.

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>, Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: (Now has LBC Content) One last American car question.
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 13:36:15 -0600
Below are some splices that I took from some ZR! groups.

I read somewhere in there when researching Vettes, then ZR1 Vettes, that
they made a claim that it was the hottest engine ever made by GM and it
went into the Vette.  I also discovered that I couldn't afford one too.

--

The Corvette ZR-1, so named "The King of the Hill", was built from the
model years 1990 to 1995. The last ZR-1 was built on April 28th 1995. A

--

93 -95 ZR1's    405 hp @ 5,800 rpm

--

The LT5 was designed by both GM and Lotus (Theres the LBC Content!)

//

I heard that the LT5 wasn't built by GM?

ANS: Correct, GM, because of small volume of LT5 engines, went outside GM
to find someone to build the LT5. They chose Mercury Marine because of
their reputation in building aluminum engines.

--

How fast are ZR-1's?

ANS: That is a hard question to answer. Performance numbers vary from ZR to
ZR because not every engine built on an assembly line will all have the
same horsepower. The LT5 in the ZR-1 will vary from 355 to 414 for example
in the 1990 - 1992 375hp cars. Then in 1993 - 1995 the hp went up to a
rating of 405hp. Then of course once on the track things like weather
conditions, track conditions and driver can affect results. But on average
a ZR-1 will do 1/4 mile times around 12.9 at 110mph and 0-60 in 4.9 to 5.2
seconds. I have seen stock ZR-1's do the 1/4 in 12.5 and some in 13.7.

--

http://members.aol.com/PilotChase/zr1ttcar.jpg

This is a image that mentions the Callaway ZR1 Twin Turbo with:

775 bhp @ 6250 - 683 FT LBS @ 5500 RPM

--

--
Jay Quinn - Business Systems Analyst