Re: Supercharged LBC (Long reply)

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: Supercharged LBC (Long reply)
From: "Vince J. Pujalte" <pujalte@stic.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 18:19:51 -0800
Mike Lishego wrote:

> I hate to show my general automotive ignorance, but can someone explain to me
>the
> difference between superchargers** a mechanically driven "blower" or
>induction pressurization pump,
usually driven via drive belts, sometimes via gears. Roots-type seem to
be a common style.They are usually mounted on the top of the intake in a
V-8 application. They look cool, and make a fabulous whining noise.

, blowers
**typically refers to supercharger, could also refer to turbo charger;
technically. They both "Blow" into the engines induction system. A blown
engine is not "normally aspirated". Normal aspiration is the process of
the unassisted falling pistons drawing the fuel/air emulsion into the
engine.

, and turbo units?
**An exhaust-stream driven (not mechanically driven)double-chambered
impeller with a common shaft. One side/impeller is spun by the exhaust
stream. The other side drives clean air into the engines induction
system. There is a delay in "spooling up" of the turbo in response to
throttle application. This is the famous "Turbo-Lag". When shutting off a
turbocharged engine, it is often advised to let it idle for a couple of
minutes first to allow the engine oil to carry away the immense heat of
the turbo bearings. Failure to do this results in "coking" (not cooking)
of the oil in the turbo and subsequent turbo bearing failure.
  This may be more than you wanted to know ;)!

Your friend,
-Vince

Thinking about the Lord?
Call free 1-888-NEED-HIM