V8 Conversions (way too long)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: V8 Conversions (way too long)
From: mgb.roadster@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 16:43:06 -0700
INTRODUCTION

Since I posted my information on the Rover engine I have received many
inquiries about MGB-V8's.  In an effort to reach all of the curious
enthusiasts I thought I would send this message to the whole list.  It is
a bit long so if this subject doesn't interest you, you may want to press
"delete" now.  Oh, I might add, those among us who are purists might want
to stop reading at the paragraph that starts:  "In 1970 Ken
Costello................"   : - )

If anyone finds any errors in the following or has any questions please
let me know.  Now that is asking for trouble!  Go easy on me.

HISTORY

General Motors developed the aluminum 215 CI V8.  It was used in the
Buick/Oldsmobile/Pontiac (BOP) compact cars of 1961-63 (750,000 units
sold).  GM stopped manufacturing the engine in 1964, they felt larger
displacement engines and "bullet proof" cast iron engines were what the
public wanted.  Rover bought the rights (license) to manufacture the
engine in 1965.  The first Rover 3.5L V8 engine car was the Rover P5
saloon in 1967.

The "new" Rover 3.5 engine was to experience a long line of engineering
changes.  Some subtle, most were improvements over the GM design and
related to strength, oiling, cooling and of course displacement.  The
displacements were: 3.5 L, 3.9L, 4.2L, 4.4 L (Australia only).  In 1979
fuel injection was added.  The recent Rover 4.0L and 4.6L engines I
believe are completely different engines; I don't think they share
anything in common with the earlier engines.

The engine in it's various configurations has been used in many vehicles;
automobiles, airplanes, and boats.

In 1970 Ken Costello completed his first installation of a Rover V8 into
an MGB Roadster (it is said that less than one hundred of Ken's cars
exist today).  By 1973 British Leyland had figured out how to do what Ken
Costello had done and they began selling the MGB-GT V8.  When production
ceased in 1976, 2591 units had been sold.  None were officially exported.
 Although some have found their way to the U.S.  In fact, some of the
subscribers to this list have them.  In 1998, because of U.S. EPA
regulations for cars over 25 years old, it will be possible to export
MGB-V8s to the U.S.  Some (at least one) of the subscribers to this list
now own MGB-V8s in England and plan to get them to the U.S.

HOW TO DO IT

So how hard is it, and what does it cost?  Depends, and depends.

It is much easier to convert a 1977 or later car.  Ironic isn't it.
British Leyland finally gets the chassis to a point were the engine is a
"drop in" and they stop making V8s.

1976 and earlier cars are more difficult.  The earlier the harder.  Some
modifications to the sheet metal under the hood is required, the earlier
you go more modification is needed.

Cost is up to you.  I have heard of conversions that cost $2000 and those
that cost $20,000.  You choose.  If you can find a built V8 that is for
sale, buy it and change what you don't like.

Is there more information available?  See the end of this message.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Has anyone ever put a @#$?>!~ engine in an MG?  Yes

Isn't this the same engine as is in my Triumph Stag?  No

Isn't a V8 heavier than my little 4 cylinder engine?  An aluminum V8
isn't.

Can I use my existing running gear?  Yes

What transmission is available for a conversion?  MG, GM, Rover and
Toyota seem to be the most popular.

How about the rear end?  MG, Jaguar and Ford.  Even some custom ones.

What ratio rear end is used?  3.00, 3.07, 3.20, 3.50 and 3.90, and I bet
I missed a few.

Are there specialized parts needed/available?  Yes.

Where do I get these parts?  Check in Kurt Schley's newsletter (info
follows).

Can't I get as much HP from the MG 1.8L engine?  You tell me, some
modified 3.5s run over 400HP.

How fast will they go fast?  Try a 12 second quarter mile.

What about top speed?  Who knows!

Don't I need bigger brakes?  It doesn't take any more brakes to stop a V8
than the 4 cyl.

Where can I see an MGB V8?  Washington D.C. July of 1998.

Are V8s smog legal?  Check with your jurisdiction.

Can I supercharge/turbo the engine?  Yes, if you can find room.

Is there anyone else on this list that knows about V8s?  Yes.

You must think you know everything!  Nope, not even close, in fact I'm
just learning.

Where did all this information come from?  See the following references.