Re: Long Distance Towing.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Long Distance Towing.
From: stuart farmer <k7wf@tdn.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 11:29:35 -0800
John Steczkowski wrote: "Why don't people who buy expensive motorhomes buy
trailers to tow there cars on?
snip snip
snip snip

I will attempt to give John my honest opinion:

John, I have towed a Ford Escort (Automatic trans) behind my motorhome for
approx. twenty-five thousand miles. This with all four wheels on the ground.
I wouldn't tow any other way.   The main problem with towing on a trailer,
or a dolly, is "what are you going to do with that extra piece of equipment
when you arrive at your camping area?"  Believe me, it can be a problem.
Also, trailers and dollies are very cumbersome and difficult to handle. Some
campgrounds will not admit a motorhome with a trailer behind.

Make a note of all the motorhomes you see on the freeways and you will
rarely see one towing with a dolly. Most have tried it, or taken the advise
of one who has tried it, and don't want any part of that method of towing.
I belong to an RV club having 30 members, all tow with four wheels on the
ground and would not have a dolly if one were offered free of charge.

Braking is not a problem, there are many aftermarket systems available to
allow the towed vehicle's brakes to engage when the RV is also braking.

A good set of tires on the towed vehicle is a MUST, thus eliminating the
possibility of a flat when being towed. ( in 25k miles I have never
experienced a flat on the Ford Escort) Also, a rear view camera, on most
motorhomes now, gives the driver a good view of the towed vehicle.

Backing up can be a problem which one tends to avoid. It is possible to back
up a few feet, but one tends to be aware of this and avoids situations of
that nature. If necessary, the towed vehicle can be un-hitched in a few
minutes to allow the driver to manoeuver the motorhome to a more favorable
position. It really is not a problem.

An MG is not a desirable car to tow behind a motorhome. It was made for an
entirely different purpose, and list members know what that is.

John, you asked the question, I hope you approve of my answer.

Cheerio, Stuart   '79MGB
Stuart Farmer
2724 Florida St.
Longview,WA 98632          k7wf@tdn.com