(NO LBC) Oldies and AM/FM/MPX 8 Tracks

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: (NO LBC) Oldies and AM/FM/MPX 8 Tracks
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 10:06:18 EST
>Of course, I had to explain to my neice what vinyl
>albums were, so I guess it just goes in cycles.

I like to go to thrift stores and flea markets to just wander around and
browse.  At the last one my eight-year-old daughter picked up a 45 and
wanted to know if the program on it would work in the CD drive in ye olde
home computer.

In a similar note, my 17-year-old niece was telling me how cool some of
the modern music is, and how antiquated ("it sucks") the music of her
mother's generation is (ie, the stuff I listen/listened to).  To prove
her point, she switched the radio in Miss Molly the '79 Midget (LBC
content) to a station that was playing 'Hair of the Dog.'  I think the
group was Guns 'n Roses.

*****
NIECE:  See, this is cool!

ME:  <Laughing>

NIECE:  Oh, I bet you think that I think it's cool because they keep
singing "SOB."

ME:  <Laughing Harder>

NIECE:  You can't just listen to the music -- you have have listen to the
message!

ME:  <Valiantly Trying To Stop Laughing>

NIECE:  That's the problem with adults -- they forget that music is
supposed to have a message.  This one means [some nonsense about
challenging authority and standing up for your individual rights].

ME:  <Chuckling>  No kidding?  And the music of today is better than that
that us old folks used to listen to?

NIECE:  Well, yeah!  You guys never had anything like this.

ME:  <Chuckling>  Honey, that song was put out by a group called Nazareth
back when your mama was in high school....

<Still chuckling, and just to be mean, I stuck in my Big Band tape and
took her for a thirty minute drive listening to "In the Mood" and other
classics.>

*****
Later she admitted that well, maybe, some of the older stuff was pretty
cool, like Billy Idol's "Mony, Mony."  I didn't have the heart to tell
her that that song was a remake, too....