Re: Driving lamps, etc. -Reply -Reply

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Driving lamps, etc. -Reply -Reply
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 22:34:28 EST
On Sat, 10 Jan 1998 18:46:02 EST DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com> writes:
>In a message dated 1/10/98 3:52:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>gofastmg@juno.com
>writes:
>
>> DANMAS wrote:
>
>> >1) It is considerably more expensive than the standard GM
>alternator,
>
>To which Rick Morrison replied:
>
>>   The single wire alternators I put in both my Midget and my son's,
>cost a
>>  whoping $45 each.
>
>Dan and Rick's comments alternate (pun intended) below:
>
>OK, scratch the "considerably" part. I didn't think you could get one
>for $45,
>but that's still $15 more than I paid for the same output.
 Well, you've got to remember that I did it in 1981, and bought a new
alternator
>>  >2) The advantage of the one-wire - its simplicity of connections -
>is lost
>on
>>  >an LBC. >>snip<<
>
>>   Nope.  Simply make up a plug which connects the large brown wire
>to the
>>  Alternator connection. The smaller brown wire is blanked off. As
>for the
>>  alternator warning light, see below.
>
>It doesn't seem to me to be any harder to connect the smaller brown
>wire to
>the connector than it is to blank it off. It certainly doesn't take
>any less
>understanding of the wiring involved.
Nor any more. Sure I could have butcherd the plug/wire bundle. But I
somehow had it in mind that I would convert back to the Lucas at
sometime.  Thus the plug. I can convert back to the Lucas in about 15
minutes without any wiring changes. Just unplug the connectors and plug
up the Lucas.
>>  3) You lose the function of the alternator warning light. The
>one-wire
>>  >unit does not have provisions for driving this lamp. Since it is
>on the
>>  >dash, and provides good information, it seems a waste not to use
>it.
>>
>>  I did.  On the plug made above, the warning light wire is connected
>into
>>  the left spade connector on the  Delco alternator.

>So you really have a two wire alternator? And a third wire just
>hanging there
>doing nothing?
No. I didn't say I cut the wire. I said I blanked it off.  There's a lot
of difference.
Knowing how to connect the warning lamp, and connecting
>it,
>sorta takes away from the simplicity advantage of the one-wire unit.
>Some of
>the MGBs came from the factory with a two wire alternator. You also
>had to cut
>a second wire off the plug you mentioned. It would have been just as
>easy to
>connect these wires together, wouldn't it?
>
>>  As a caveat, I did not spend the big bucks to get one of the
>"Street Rod"
>>  alternators from the local parts house.  Being a bit of a
>cheapskate, I
>>  went to a local starter/alternator shop and he, being very helpful
>when I
>>  explained what I wanted, took a basic off-the-shelf Delco
>alternator of
>>  65 amps, removed the back and installed what he described as a
>"self
>>  energizing regulator". Took him all of 5 minutes. This alternator
>has the
>>  provision for a alternator warning light as stated above.
>
>Be good to this guy, he cut you a deal. Normally, the conversion kit
>alone
>costs in the neighborhood of $20 -$30. Plus installation, unless you
>know how
>to do it yourself.
Yeah I'm good to the guy. I recommend him to all my friends. But not
because he cut me a "deal".  Those kit's are probably WAY over priced. He
simply swapped out the regulator. I watched him the first time, and he
talked me through it the second time. I probably could do it now myself.
But seeing how one has been in daily use for a bit over 16 years, and the
other about 10, I may have forgotten how do do it by now
>>   Not all "single wire" alternators are created equal
>
>True, but usually the options are plain or chrome.
>
>Let's see if I understand this correctly: You bought a standard
>alternator,
>paid to have extra parts added to convert it to a one-wire, connected
>it as a
>two wire, cut the end off of a perfectly good wire, already in place
>and could
>have been easily used for a three wire unit, and came out better than
>if you
>had just used the standard alternator to begin with?

You MIS understand.
  Did'nt pay for extra parts
  Didn't cut any wires

>Hmmmm! Seems to me you paid $15 for parts you didn't need, extra parts
>just to
>go wrong, and wound up with exactly the same thing I did using a
>standard
>alternator. I don't see the benefits. A one wire unit will work, but I
>still
>don't recommend it, even if the cost were the same. I think if you
>know enough
>to make the modifications to use a one-wire, as you obviously do, then
>you
>know enough to use the standard three wire unit. Other than simplicity
>of
>wiring, I can think of no reason for using a one-wire.
The obvious reason was to increase the potential output. The Lucas is
rated at 32 amps, the Delco at 65 Sounds like a good reason to upgrade to
me.
Besides, I'm the one with the warning light, remember.