Ignition Switch Fix

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Ignition Switch Fix
From: "Foley, Tim (CAP, ITS, US)" <TFoley@gecits.GE.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 12:13:05 -0600
Pat
Thanks for the info.  I have been having problems with my switch
recently.  I found a ball bearing on the floor of my MG this weekend
when I was looking at the switch still on the column.  Now I know what I
am dealing with.

Patrick Bailey wrote:

I FIXED IT!!!
My ign switch(on my 79 B ) was giving me woes cutting my stereo off,so I
talked to an LBC friend and it is a simple fix.
Take the clam shells off
unscrew the little screw holding the ignition switch in place
remove screw holding purple wire to steering shaft
removeswitch
unplug switch
go in the house,put it on a well lit table
take a little screwdriver and gently pry the cover off
BE CAREFUL
2 brass contacts and 2 ball bearings will fall out
shine up all contacts with emery cloth
put the 2 ball bearings on the springs and the 2 contacts on the other
springs
put the cover back together until it snaps
reinstall on car saving $100
It worked fine ,took 20 minutes,just becareful taking the cover off and
don't lose any parts.
I hope this helps anyone with intermittant switch operation.
Pat