Engine mounts!? -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, grayoak@holly.ColoState.EDU
Subject: Engine mounts!? -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 12:41:54 -0500
Since all you've gotten are wise cracks for answers, I'll jump in.

I've only owned one MG, but for engine mounts in general, stick your
hand around it, and squeeze the rubber.  A new engine mount starts out
with squared sides, and the rubber is very hard.  As they age, the
rubber begins to soften (aka deteriorate), and the squared-ness becomes
a bulge instead.  If your mounts are squooshy and bulge like bagels it's
time to replace them.

When you goose the throttle, the engine will normally torque over some
(the mounts *are* rubber after all), but old mounts will let it twist
quite a bit further than new ones.  That may also be an indication, but
you'd have to have some experience with your type of car to have an eye
for it.

As to where to buy them, have you checked your local hole-in-the-wall
parts store?  (Not neccessarily something like Western Auto or
AutoZone.)  I've been amazed what my local shop has been able to turn up
from their warehouse.  And they always beat the prices from VB/Moss and
the Import Car Parts shop in town.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - consuming lots of parts.  The engine block is still original.

>>> Nick Benson <grayoak@holly.ColoState.EDU> 01/08/98 09:34am >>>

What's a good indicator that engine mounts are shot?

Where can I buy a pair for a reasonable price, (Victoria British shows
them for $20 each!)

Nick D. Benson
Technology Teacher
Fort Collins CO