Re: Cheap MG parts, WAS Engine mounts!? -Reply

To: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Subject: Re: Cheap MG parts, WAS Engine mounts!? -Reply
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 15:42:26 -0500
At 12:14 PM 1/13/98 -0800, John J. Peloquin wrote:

>Dear Netters,

>I am continually amazed at how cheap our LBC car parts can be compared

>to new cars (or even not so new cars). An example was the price I paid

>to replace an engine mount on my wifes 1985 VW Jetta. ONE engine mount

>was bas and cost 125 bux JUST FOR THE PART!!!!!! and that was from a

>"cheap"  place!!!!! So $20 for an MGB mount seems pretty good to me-

>albeit knowing VIcky B's prices, I'll bet you could get em for about

>half that from some place like Northwest Import Parts.

Yeah, I have to side with John here as well.  I've learned the hard way that
it's usually easier to just pay the bill and do the job right.  I also am not
crazy about retrofitting my B with other parts non-original.  Don't read me
wrong here, I'm not saying that putting non-original parts is a sin.  I figure
I could either spend an hour of my time retrofitting that Delco alternator or
have my original rebuilt for slightly more.  I also get the benefit of saying
that my car has all OEM parts.

I found that if I simply replace parts on my car with original parts, they are
just as suitable and durable.  I think many times, a person will buy a car, and
find that many parts need to be replaced.  Consider that many times these parts
are original and may be 20-30 years old.  If you replace with an equal quality
replacement you should be able to get a similar number of years.  Of course,
most times, the owner will chalk up the broken part to inferior design or
workmanship, and indeed occasionally this is the case.  But the majority of the
time, lack of maintenance and age are the only reasons for failure.

My '70 B is a daily driver, and because of it, I figure I should spend slightly
more on parts to give me insurance.  Let me be the first to tell you that I
have an extremely reliable vehicle now.  Reasons for this include my
familiarity with MGs now(it took quite a while), the resolve to fix the car
right, and not being a cheapskate.  I drove 400 miles from Memphis to Atlanta
with nary a problem.  7 hours straight with only a fuel stop.

My fuel gauge works properly; my speedo works as well as the odometer.  All
lights work.  SU carbs work fine and are adjusted properly.  And this equipment
is all original or OEM quality or better.  Why jerry rig when the right part
works fine in the first place?

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.