The right parts...was - Re: Cheap MG parts

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: The right parts...was - Re: Cheap MG parts
From: Christopher Palmer <ctp@gbn.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 13:15:00 -0800
More of my 2=A2

>I also get the benefit of saying that my car has all OEM parts.

Hmmm...I've never seen that particular need (but that's just me)

>I found that if I simply replace parts on my car with original parts, they
>are just as suitable

In many cases I would agree, but in many others I would not.
I have a Weber downdraft carb.  Very reliable, very easy to keep adjusted,
and cost me less than a stock setup!
I have electronic ignition.  Same reason (initial cost was a more, but
lowered cost of maintenance offsets this, I feel).  My Lucas starter
solenoid went bad.  It was the second in a couple years.  I went to the
local parts house, bought a 'Standard' brand Ford solenoid for eleven
dollars.  It doesn't look out of place at all, cost a lot less than a
Lucas, and hasn't conked out (and probably never will).

I am getting front lever shocks which have been re-bushed with a proper
bushing material, so they will work better, longer.  Maybe in the 50s and
60s a steel shaft running in a zinc hole was good enuf...I don't think so
now.

My master cylinders are re-sleeved.

>Why jerry rig when the right part works fine in the first place?
I agree, if and only if the part does work fine in the first place.

CTP