Re: Losing Power on Steep Inclines

To: Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>,
Subject: Re: Losing Power on Steep Inclines
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:34:37 -0500
At 06:45 AM 1/15/98 -0800, Andy Ramm wrote:

>Greetings all, sorry to bother you with this.

>Today driving to work in my '67 BGT, the car seemed to lose a lot of power as

>it climbed a steep incline, as though one or two cylinders were cutting out

>temporarily.  Once the hill was crested, the power gradually came back.  Any

>suggestions of what this could be?  Fuel pump?  Floats?

Andy, not being able to see and hear the symptoms of your car, I can't really
guess what your problem is, but my first guess would be a weak ignition system.
 I know that when my points are arcing and they begin to burn, I will lose
power when I really tax the engine.  I remember driving to Memphis once and the
car really lost power on steep hills while pushing a 75 mph pace.  Eventually
it got so bad, that the car just began to backfire and would not pull under a
load.  I eventually figured it out and replaced the points and condenser at a
gas station, and then it was back to normal.

Before that trip, my eyes had only graced a dizzy's insides once before.

I didn't even know how to change a set of points, until I read a message Ray
Gibbons had sent me.  It was a good thing I remembered what he said, cause I
was in Guin, Alabama at midnight, and I don't think they even had a hotel.  I
quickly taught myself how to work on dizzy's late that night, and now
distributors are cake.  That trip taught me a good lesson.

My second guess would be a low float bowl, but I can not understand how this
problem would only manifest while the engine is under a load.

Check your plug gaps and points and you might find your culprit.

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.