Re: Ammeters, was---> Battery Drain???

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Ammeters, was---> Battery Drain???
From: Christopher Palmer <ctp@gbn.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 18:44:15 -0800
Trevor Boicey wrote:
>  I don't agree with this, and I have a lot of catalogs around
>to back this up. A lot of meters are available in radio shack
>with a different name on them for about the same price, and it's
>a hell of a lot more convenient to buy at the shack.
>
>  I am a big fan of the practically disposable credit card sized
>meters from the Shack.

Sorry Trevor, but I can't let this one go without a fight.

OK, not to get in a meter-shouting-match or anything, but last time I
looked Radio Shack (RS) had no 30 function multimeters (with transistor
tester), which could handle 20 amps for anything close to $40.

The closest might be their 220-0163 for $50, but it only handles 10 amps.

I have spent years in the electronics industry, many of those in
electronics purchasing, as well as end usage, both field and lab.  I have
tried many meters from RS and have thrown away no less than 3 of the
"practically disposible credit card sized meters".  For my professional
work, I prefer Fluke by a wide margin.  I have some B&K also.  These are
great if you plan to use it a lot, and feel the need to spend $100 or more
on a meter.  For my kick-around meter at home I have the Metex.  I bought
it because it is the only one I found which could handle 20A (at a good
price).  I shopped at Radio Shack before I bought the Metex, and bought an
RS multimeter.  It was rated for 10A and cost $80 (you can get a good low
end Fluke for that much now).  It died 2 weeks later, and I hadn't even
abused it yet.  My Metex has been kicked, dropped, moistened, folded,
spindled, etc... keeps on ticking.

Take it from a person who's livelyhood depended on getting the right
product for the right price, RS meters didn't hold up in the real world.

Will you be using it as hard as we did?  Of course not.  But when I got my
Metex, it was an unbeatable value.

You are now armed with the advice of a professional (do not attempt to
mount this soap-box at home) but as always, shop around and just make sure
you are happy with it.

and...Caveat emptor...

CTP