Re: Guage Lenses

To: DANIEL RAY <danray@bluegrass.net>, "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Guage Lenses
From: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 21:39:35 -0500
Dan-

I had good success replacing the lenses on my 77B's speedo and tach.  Once
the instrument is out of the dash, removing the front bezel was quite
simple, and self-explanatory.  Some cretin had decided to use what I assume
was a Bic lighter to see if the lens was glass (not) or plastic (yep).
Needless to say, the lens' were blistered, warped and discolored (some
people's kids!).

Had new pieces of plexiglass cut at the local hardware store, drilled a
small hole for the tripmeter push button, and everything went back together
nicely.

Regards,

Chris Delling

At 06:55 PM 1/17/98 -0600, DANIEL RAY wrote:
>Listers:
>
>Well, I worked for a few minutes on the dash until the cold and the snow
chased me back into the house. I know, I'm a wimp. Hell, I've never worked
on a car north of the Mason-Dixon line before! This no garage thing sucks,
but thanks to Skip, I have a nice new cover to protect my new project, the
car said "ahh" when I put it on.

>Question: Any experience out there with restoring guage lenses? Is it even
possible to remove the glass and fix it up? If pulling the glass off and
gibbonizing them is a mistake, I figured I'd ask first. They are all kinda
fuzzy with those little "worm tracks"....