RE: Going on a Beer Thread (off topic)

To: DANIEL RAY <danray@bluegrass.net>,
Subject: RE: Going on a Beer Thread (off topic)
From: "EPMD- Van syckel, John" <vansyck@hq.1perscom.heidelberg.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 12:30:43 +0100
> Dan,
>
> Sorry to disagree, but I have had E.K.U 28.  It's not sold everywhere,
> granted, but it does exist.  If I remember correctly it is an
> "Eisbock."  The story (legend?) goes that many years ago (i.e.
> hundreds) two workers at a brewery were told to put the kegs of bier
> inside the brewery to protect it from the cold winter weather.  Well,
> they put most of them away, but left two outside and quit for the day.
> When they returned to work the next day the kegs had frozen, except
> for some residue of the bier and the alcohol that settled to the
> center of the kegs.  The braumeister was so angry with the two
> employees for ruining the bier that he made them drink what was still
> liquid.  So it was very strong, they had a good day, and "Eisbock" was
> born.

P.S.  Tastes in schnapps appears to me to be regional.  I've never seen
cinnimon schnapps, but I don't doubt that it exists.  What I see most
often is schnapps based on fruit such as plums, pears, apples and the
like.  In southern Bavaria you can often see "Barwurtz" (with two dots
over the a ), which is some nasty stuff made from some kind of roots.
But, after two you don't care because you don't even know your own name
anymore.