Re: Was Disk Wheels, Now Safety Gloves

To: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>,
Subject: Re: Was Disk Wheels, Now Safety Gloves
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:18:22 -0500
At 10:01 PM 1/22/98 -0600, David F. Darby wrote:

>Hello:

>Before we all de-fat the tissues of our hands or worse, let's go down to

>the industrial supply house and buy Nitrile Rubber gloves. They are

>(usually) green and come in various weights and cuff lengths. The are

>impermeable to most solvents and yet light weight. Cost is cheap: $1.75

>(US)/pair, less in quantity.

>Latex gloves and dishwashing gloves are not rated for chemical exposure.

Well, before you go and spend $1.75 on nitrile gloves, consider that aircraft
stripper will eat through nitrile gloves very easily.  I tried using my 8 mil
nitrile gloves and the stuff ate right through them.  I tried the dishwashing
gloves and they were more appropriate.

I addition, if you are sloppy enough to get the stripper all over your gloves
in mass quantities, then this project is not for you.  Besides, the stripper
will let you know if it is on your hands, as all acids will.  If, however, this
product was a base, I would be more apprehensive to it's use with dishwashing
gloves.

Grab a pair of nitrile gloves, the small tighter fighting type, and then slip
the dishwashing gloves over and then go to town.  I usually put stripper on the
part, wash off my gloves with water to neutralize the chemical and then come
back later to scrape off paint.  Chemical isn't on my gloves for more than a
few minutes.

Jay

As a sidenote, the nitrile gloves do an excellent job with regular solvents,
excluding some volatile organics which penetrate quickly, but these are usually
your more exotic solvents which are only used sparingly.  Kerosene, diesel
fuel, and gunk won't go through the nitrile as easily.

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.