Making gaskets?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Making gaskets?
From: Skye Poier <skye@jungle.direct.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:19:36 -0800
Hello,

In my continuing saga to get the 81 civic to a condition my girlfriend
feels comfortable driving it, I've tracked a weird cold idle issue to an air
leak at the bottom of the carb.  I've pulled it apart and now I want to make
a new gasket for the bit between the carb riser and the intake manifold, the
old one was plastic and a replacement would cost $50 (yeah, right) so I'm
going to make one myself.

I went to Canadian Tire and got an assortment of gasket paper.. I'm new
at this, there are four pieces:

. black, rubbery
. tan, looks like cardboard
. lighter tan, slightly less stiff than above, also looks like cardboard
. cork

and on the package it says it includes:

. rubberized cork (i know which one this is)
. treated paper
. rubberized cullulose
. rubberized fiber for hi-temp applications

So, my question is, which is which and could someone give me a brief rundown
on what kinds of gasket material are good for what?  And especially what would
be best for the bottom of the carb application?

Thanks!
Skye

--
www.mgb.bc.ca