Never assume that brown stuff is oil

To: mg list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Never assume that brown stuff is oil
From: "Scott C. Williams" <bb@odsys.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 21:15:49 +0500
Never assume that brown stuff is oil at the end of your dipstick.

The 1978 MGB that I bought a couple of weeks ago had brown stuff,
and I started the motor, but the oil pressure was really low. I was about
to write the motor off as worn out and put another one in. I pulled out the
dipstick to check the level after I had been running it, and I noticed it
smelled the same old gas smell that had been coming from the gas tank.

After further investigation, I discovered the crankcase had either been filled
wtih gasoline on purpose, or the choke on the ailing Stromberg had been
dumping gas in.

Changed the oil and guess what....instant oil pressure.

Scott
--
Scott C. Williams
scw@russellks.net