British Car following in Singapore

To: "michael j robson" <miker15@juno.com>
Subject: British Car following in Singapore
From: "Lenny A. Singh" <singhla@mbox3.singnet.com.sg>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 00:01:57 +0800
Hi Michael,

Yes indeed, a British Car fan here in Singapore.  The are quite a number of
British car enthusiasts ranging from classic cars to vintage.

We have a very active club known as the Malaysia and Singapore Vintage Car
Register.  Our membership includes many from Europe, Australia and the USA.
 Fortnightly social meetings and regular events are organised.  A highlight
event is the plantation run which is a circuit event within the confines of
a rubber/oil palm plantation.  With looses laterite surface, "stopping
astride" takes on a whole new meaning.  Concours events are held every
year.

You've got it wrong.  A basic Japanese car starts at $65,000.00  For a cool
$160,000.00, you will get a MGF 1.8i, not the VVC model.  A Rover 416i is
about $120,000.00.  The import duty on cars is a hefty 150% an a
Certificate of Entitlement (COE) is required to purchase a car.  The COE is
on a tender basis and a high of $100,000.00 for the right to own a car was
attained.  By the way, this entitlement is only for 10 years, at it has to
be re-validated after that.  It gets more complicated with road tax
surcharges on older cars and yearly inspections (equivalent to MOT).

> Let me translate Mike's post.  "Do people get caned for not passing
emissions
> requirements in Singapore?"

No, they caning relate to cars are reserved for road bullies and vandals.

Lenny A. Singh

The wheel bearings for the MGB GT have all been sorted out.  Many thanks to
all who responded.